COVID-19 UPDATE: During this unprecedented time, we have modified food pantry operations to meet increasing demand in a safe environment. The Pantry remains open each Tuesday 9:30-11 am with a drive-thru service. We are not accepting new volunteers at this time. Food donations can be dropped off on Mondays 9 am -noon at the south door of the Rectory. We are currently serving approximately 130 families representing about 400 individuals each week.
Loving God, give us our daily bread and remind us to share what we have so all people have their daily bread. Amen.
Our mission is twofold: (1) to provide supplemental nutritious food assistance to those in need in a safe, respectful and prayerful environment and (2) to partner with our community to support the pantry through food drives and volunteer opportunities.
• Located in the basement of St. Francis Xavier church rectory (124 N. Spring Avenue – LaGrange). You may enter through black door on east side of rectory.
• Distributes food every Tuesday from 9:30-11:00 am, 51 weeks of the year (closed week between Christmas and New Year). Random numbers are distributed at 9:30am. Food may be picked up at the rectory until 8:30 pm on Tuesdays. Please call (708) 352-0168 to arrange a later pick-up.
• Serves anyone who needs food assistance in the 60525 and 60526 zip codes. Registrants need to provide proof of residence (e.g., driver’s license, utility or medical bill, etc.). We serve an average of 75 families (or approximately 250 individuals) each week.
• Each family receives non-perishable and perishable food as well as toilet paper.
Volunteer & Donor Information
• Donations for the pantry are always welcome. Food items may be dropped off at the rectory or left at the side altars at any time. We kindly request food that is not expired. Checks may be made payable to “St. Francis Xavier Food Pantry”.
• Nonperishable food items we need include: nonsugared cereal, pasta, mac ‘n cheese, rice, potatoes, tomato sauce, tuna, peanut butter, jelly, low sugar canned fruits and low sodium canned vegetables, soup, and beans.
• We also provide “specials” when available, including: coffee, tea, snacks, condiments, baking goods, personal hygiene products, baby items, laundry and dish detergent and paper towels.
• Our homeless clients receive a bag specially packed to meet their needs (ready- to-eat, pop-top cans, paper plates, bowls, utensils, cold drinks, etc.).
• We receive weekly food donations from Panera, Aracely’s Bakery, and Trader Joes.
• Fresh produce is provided via Trader Joes, a grant from the Greater Chicago Food Depository (GCFD) and Share the Harvest, a group of community gardens that share fresh produce with us.
• Leftover perishables are donated to BEDS Plus, an overnight shelter organization.
• If you or your group volunteers at the GCFD, we receive $5/hour credit per individual so please be sure to designate the SFX Food Pantry (Agency # A00419) on your volunteer form when you check in. The credit we receive is used to purchase food from the Depository for our food pantry. You can register to volunteer at: www.chicagosfoodbank.org.
• We have about 40 weekly volunteers who assist with food pick-ups and preparing and packing the food bags. In addition, we partner with community organizations, including businesses, area churches, elementary and high school students, and scout groups to provide food and volunteer support.
We are so grateful for the ongoing support of our generous community!
Please email Mary Freeman, Food Pantry Coordinator, or call (708) 352-0168 for more information.